Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Germans

My German relatives are in town, well, 1 German relative plus his girlfriend.  Sebastian and Olga arrived in the city yesterday, and we met up this evening for dinner at my favorite (and most expensive favorite) dining location in New York City - the Lake Side Boat House in Central Park.  My sister offered to treat the 3 of us to the meal - she treated us very well.  :) 

We enjoyed our meal together, but I'll admit, I find telling stories with a language barrier to be a bit of a challenge.  I actually have to think about what I am saying.  I become cautious about my word choice, and then get self-conscious because I question whether or not what I am saying actual makes sense to my listeners.  And then I start not making sense because I'm focused on not making sense and hence become my own self-fulfilled prophecy.

Sebastian and Olga didn't seem to mind me stumbling over my stories this evening.  They are simply thrilled I am writing a book, and requested I send them an autograph copy once it's complete.  Sebastian told me he thinks I'm going to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. 

I think not.

Earlier in the day I picked up a few photos out in Brooklyn from my former roomie (forever known as room), Shannen.  Here's a pic she took on the way to my storage unit when I was clearing out my apartment this summer. 


I stopped by my storage unit today.  It was a miserable experience.  I was reminded I don't have a home.  I don't recommend going without one, unless it is some sort of experiment, carefully thought out and planned.  I've been couch surfing this week in NYC, and it hasn't been quite the adventure I would have hoped it to be.  Note to self: in the future, when couch surfing, line up places to stay at least a week in advance.  Couch surfing is less fun when you wake up each morning uncertain where you'll be laying your head that night.

Tomorrow I fly to LA.  I have no idea where I'll be sleeping once I land, but at least I have a rental car arranged for the duration of my stay.  Wish me luck! 
 

No comments: