Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sailing

Several months ago I had this dream, and in it I was out sailing on our lake.   For some reason rather than leaving my cell phone on shore like I typically do, I had brought it on board.  And as I sailed I kept checking on it.  Even while trying to maneuver both the sail and the rudder, which takes both hands, my attention was directed primarily towards my phone.  I gripped it in my right hand, making it difficult to steer in the direction I wanted to go.  I only have a basic flip phone, yet I feared I might lose it in the lake. 

The next morning, when I awoke, I recalled my inability to enjoy the sailing experience because my concern for my phone was so great.  Now, I’m not into overspiritualizing dreams, but a week or so after the dream, I considered perhaps it might not so much be about my phone, as it might be God asking me to let go of something so I can better enjoy the journey he wants to take me on.  For me, I needed to let go of RD work in order to keep sailing. 

But there is also something to be said about letting go of our phones from time to time as well. Yesterday I went running for the first time in a long time without my phone. It was glorious. 


This is a pic from last summer, when I went sailing with my California roommates along Malibu's coast.  I miss those fabulous CA roommates of mine!

No comments: