Sunday, July 15, 2012

Prazitel

Not to be confused with a type of pretzel invented by the monks in the mid-1600s, Prazitel is a type of medicine one takes 6 to 8 weeks after rafting down the Nile River to kill off any parasites potentially picked up along the way.

Since it has been about 7 weeks since I went rafting on the Nile, and since I may have parasitic worms in my body, I'm taking my Prazitel medication this evening to kill off any unwanted inhabitants I may have living inside of me. 

My Ugandan co-leader from Portland (Michael Badriaki) tried to scare my team out of rafting, but 10 out of 12 of us went any way.  He insisted, not only would we get worms, we would also get broken bones.  But no broken bones here, only the possibility of worms. 

Which, for one of THE most epic experiences of my life, I'll take 'em!












Rafting on the Nile!




Braving the Rapids through the Rain

Thanks Jane & Nile River Explorers for a fabulous time!


Additional Info: Schistosomiasis, also known as bilharzia, is a disease caused by parasitic worms...
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/schistosomiasis/

No comments: