Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It Could Happen

My mentor and friend Kim McManus told me last spring that if I did, that it would mean the end of our friendship. She told me this over dinner at La Caravan Restaurante Salvadoreno on North Lake Street in Pasadena. We were saying our final farewells and somewhere amidst our conversation I mentioned that in my move from LA to New York I was considering the possibility.

She shot down my idea, shaking her head in disapproval - jokingly, but I think she was half-serious - not that she would actually end our friendship over the matter, but I do believe she found it peculiar that I would pursue something of that sort of nature. Perhaps because she thinks it's unnecessary, and maybe it is, but I thought perhaps it could be helpful - and actually, I still think that it could be helpful. And several of my coworkers contest that it is.

This evening I met up with some acquaintance friends at a place called Stout, located on 33rd Street, and well, it became a hot topic of conversation.

I'm talking about e-harmony. I've never actually done it for real; I almost did it twice, but I couldn't quite bring myself to pay money to meet men. But I've been warming up to the idea, and it could potentially happen any day now - or maybe a week from today now.

I decided back in September that if I go more than 2 weeks without meeting a guy or going on some sort of date, then I'd sign up. But so far, well, I keep meeting men, and I've gone on more dates in the past few months than I did the entire decade of my twenties.

But I also have some fears surrounding signing up. Such as, I could be paired with someone I already know. One of the gals I was out with tonight (tall - 5'9", beautiful, and brilliant) shared with our group that she was matched with her ex-boyfriend and with a guy who is 5'4". Thankfully I don't have to worry about getting matched with an ex (they're all married), but what if I got matched with one of my coworkers? And if they're matching a 5'9" girl with some dude who is 5'4", the matching system really can't be all that great.

Hmmm... armony?

No comments: