Thursday, October 14, 2010

Watering Camels

“Katrina, just remember to water those camels.”

“So is that why I’m still single?! Because I haven’t been watering any camels? But Dad, there aren’t any camels in New York to water!”

I was on the phone with my parents and my dad was trying to give me some "sound" Biblical dating advice. He was referring to the story of Isaac and Rebekah and how the two became an item. It involved some prayer, and some watering of camels. Oh, and a nose ring - which I have, and some bracelets - which I don't have. (For the full story, you'll have to read Genesis 24. Actually, if you want the full, full story, you'll need to read the entire Bible. It's only then, in understanding the big picture, that Scripture and what Jesus did on the cross really starts to make sense. But I don't recommend starting in Genesis - start in John.)

Finding camels to water in the US is not such simple undertaking. I mean, I could water a dog, a cat, and perhaps even a horse or a llama, but a camel? Hmmm... The only time I recall being around camels is when I was in the middle of a desert in East Asia a couple of summers ago. I had taken a team of college students on a 3 week International Service Project trip and on one of our days “off” we went for a camel ride.

While we were out on our ride, my teammates decided that we ought to name all of our camels. I thought that was a great idea and so each of our camels received an English name. I can’t recall all of the names, but I do recall that several of the camels were named after extremely good looking men - men that I wouldn’t mind going on a date with if they were to ask – not that they ever would - especially since not all of the good looking camels were single.

No comments: