Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sea Streaking

“And this is where I get out and run.” I thanked the cab driver as I handed him some cash. It was 10:57 AM, and I had exactly three minutes to get to where I needed to be, otherwise my plans for the day would be ruined. I quickly exited the taxi and dashed across the street, running the rest of the way down 34th until it dead ended into the water. I gripped my cell phone tightly, monitoring its ever so slight, but significant changes in time. At 11:00 I stopped running, because I saw the boat that I was hoping to board – the one that departs daily at 11:00AM to take passengers to a remote beach in New Jersey. The boat, with the words Sea Streak on its side, was less than 100 yards away, yet I hadn’t even purchased a ticket.

But to my delight (and I hope to yours), the boat was still docked, and there were about a half dozen individuals lined up still waiting to board. I purchased my ticket at 11:01, got on board at 11:02, and at 11:03, we departed Manhattan’s shore.

I made my way to the upper deck to inhale the city view as we ventured down the East River. We sped by the city, making our way under the Williamsburg Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge, and then finally the Brooklyn Bridge. And of course, we passed the Statute of Liberty, standing prominently and proudly on Liberty Island, right beside Ellis Island.

Right around the Statue of Liberty, I got out my cell phone and texted one of my favorite people the message, “I’m on a boat!” To which, a man nearby questioned me, “Are you actually getting cell service out here?” I told him I was just sending a text and I wasn’t sure if it would go through. But being the darn extravert that I am, the conversation didn’t stop there. I had to explain that I was with All-tel, which essentially is Verizon, and then went on to rave about the great cell service that I get. And he continued the conversation by sharing with me the woes of his cell phone plan.

After our cell chat, he told me that his name is Eddie, and we shook hands. I informed him that I’ve met a couple of other Eddies this year - one when I was out rock climbing in Southern California and another one while I was in Chicago (who was actually my taxi driver who took me out for breakfast, which is another story for another day.) We conversed the rest of the way to Jersey, and by the time we got off the Sea Streak ferry, I sensed that he was inwardly and not so secretly hoping that we would spend the afternoon together. And I inwardly, and not so secretly, did my best to kindly blow him off, saying something along the lines of, “Well enjoy your day, perhaps I’ll see you on the Ferry on the way back.”

Even still, he lingered.

But thankfully as we neared the beach area, the women’s restroom came to my rescue. Conveniently I was able to excuse myself from his presence. It’s not that I minded having conversation with Eddie, but I took the day off of work for the very of purpose pulling away and having some alone time, and I really didn’t want him crashing my solo party.

From the restroom, just after 12 noon, I made my way out to the shoreline of Sandy Hook’s north beach, I settled in the sand on my beach towel with book The War of Art by Steven Pressfield in hand.

The author scolded me, exposed me, and encouraged me. He told me that I absolutely must start writing again. (Confession: it has been months.)

Later in the afternoon I decided to go for a jog down the beach, and so I changed into my much-needed sports bra, and started running barefoot down the shore, pondering the crisis of faith that one of my college students is facing. She is wrestling with a question that most everyone wrestles with at some point in their spiritual journey – how can God allow such awful things to happen in our world? Specifically, she wants to know how God can be so cruel. As I was running the Scripture that came to mind is John 11:35. A verse that states, “Jesus Wept.” Jesus wept. God wept. And I believe He still weeps. I don’t think God is playing the cruel card, but rather I think He is playing the compassion card and that the pain and suffering in this world disturbs him deeply.

My running thoughts were abruptly interrupted as found myself amidst a large group of people staked out on the beach. And for once, I could only wish for Speedos. Because the beach area I was running through, evidently didn’t believe in wearing any sort of swimwear.

Wow. Awkward. Weird. Gross. I was running through a nude beach. And suddenly I wondered just how Sea Streak Ferry Company got its middle name. I kept my eyes on the sand a few feet in front me trying to avoid the nakedness around me. I couldn’t help but to think back to University of Michigan’s naked mile that was still in existence my freshmen year of college. I had a paper that I had to write that night, and so I went to the computer lab, and occasionally someone would come in completely naked, sit down, and check their e-mail.

I safely made it back to my beach area, and after a dip in the ocean, I headed back to the Ferry pick up point.

Eddie found me on the way back to Manhattan, and before we parted ways, he made sure to tell me, “I have to admit, I find you to be extremely attractive, but I’m also extremely intimidated by you.”

I responded, “I’ve gotten that before. Perhaps that’s why I’m still single.”

1 comment:

NPD said...

I'm glad your book left you convicted to write again, I do enjoy your stories! Keep it up!

Sometimes I day dream about moving to NY... If you hear of anybody needing a science teacher, let me know!

-nd